A Political and Political Economy commentary blog on Pakistan, South Asia, Central Asia, Middle East, and Far East. Author believes in values of democracy, human rights, and transparency.
The media and polarisation
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Weekly article in Daily Times on Media's role in polarizing societies... http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/opinion/11-Sep-2014/the-media-and-polarisation Sep 11, 2014
The title says it all and highlights the flaw in the approach since Elections. In fact, it highlights the flaw in the approach for last few years, especially since 2009. And it is important to emphasize on this because after elections, PPP, and the progressive politics in Pakistan, has entered a zone where the dangers are eminent for it and for the broader social structure and political order. First things first, let me clarify one thing on the onset. In my view, the elections of 2013 were neither free nor fair, and in the event of free and fair elections and an opportunity to campaign freely, PPP had the support base to add 30-40 seats to its current tally. But having said that, what happened has happened and now we stand at a juncture where the future of this left-leaning, liberal, progressive party faces serious threats and challenges. And with this, of course, is in question the future of a progressive, federal narrative in Pakistan's politics. What the election results h...
I know this one is going to be the most controversial of all my posts. Yet at the same time I deliberated the most while writing this. This post in many ways is crumbling of the myth of my childhood fascination and idol. If there was anything that I followed like mad in my childhood, it was my hero, my idol, the demigod of my childhood – Imran Khan. I would mimic everything that I found him doing. I would bowl for hours in the scotching heat of June and July in street and in the courtyard. I went ecstatic when I found that he too is a Fish-buff like me. His father, Niazi Uncle (someone I have learnt a lot from, and someone who has always been extremely kind to me), is a good friend of my father and a mentor to me. Through this connection I had the privilege of meeting my childhood idol a few times. When he initiated fund raising for cancer hospital, I was selling tickets at fuel stations, road sides, walkways and shops. When he formed Tehrik -e- Insaaf , I was one of its earliest m...
Thank you Sir for leading Pakistan on the way to constitutional reform which has seen it get rid of legacy of decades of autocracy. Thank you for presiding over an economic restructuring that leads to more even distribution of resources between urban and rural and between north and south. Thank you for steering Pakistan though its worst economic years and worst energy shortages with minimum of damage. And Thank you for standing up against the terrorists while risking your own life. Thank you for your initiatives on women's rights. Thank you for your voice for minorities and thank you for being there for all liberal and freedom causes. Thank you for the vision and stamina to stick to the politics of reconciliation and thank you for demonstrating that a successful democracy is about inclusion and cooperation above anything else. Thank you for defending Pakistan against the terrorists and thank you for protecting its interest on international forums. Thank you for your efforts to re...
Comments