My Fellow Liberals

Let me begin by congratulating those of you who fought for reinstatement of Iftikhar Chaudhary. I deliberately decided to delay this writing so that emotions in me and in you calm down. For last one year, I was standing on the other side of the divide. I and you have been in sync on almost all issues except the one where you won. I still think our ideals and causes are the same and so I write to you to express my concerns to you and to explain to you why I was not with you in this struggle, which we started together a couple of years back but I decided to move out a year ago.

First my concerns. You have won and it is a victory well deserved. However, there are three things which concern me. First, I am not in Pakistan, but the reports I had indicated a mutiny in local administration by loyalists of Nawaz. You and I both know that it has never been hard for our administrations to stop a few hundred people from breaking the house-arrest. But if some officers in administration decided to disobey the orders of government on this, it sets a precedence. What if some ideologue security official refuses to arrest some militant? What if some officers loyal to MQM refuse to obey the government orders to prevent elements of MQM creating a law and order situation in Karachi? Will we justify it then too? And if we wouldn't who should decide what conduct is right and what is wrong? All that I have read about ethical conduct of professionals is that if they do not agree with something, they just resign. Any other action on their part is mutiny. So my friends you will be justified to call this mutiny, bowing of administration to your resilience but for a moment please consider my humble dispositions.

Another thing bothering me are the reports that Police refused to be more heavy-handed on protesters and yielded. How often has that happened in our homeland my fellows? And even if it was for conscience, what will happen to our fragile federation, if a procession gets shot at in Sindh, Balochistan, NWFP, or South Punjab or even a procession of poor, illiterate slum-dwellers of Central Punjab? Would not it be portrayed as double standards for treating Lahoris and treating minor provinces? Your mere protesting then will not be acceptable - you should either ensure it does not happen - or God forbid, there will be fire. I am a Punjabi - and a proud one. But I am a Pakistani too and my homeland has not come out of the burden of stigma that Sindhi premier removed in coup gets hanged while Punjabi premier removed in coup is given a safe passage. My intent is not to divide us. My intent is to unite us by trying to touch the conscience of the ones who have been treated preferential in our homeland.

My third concern is that it seems to me that districts surrounding the capital have managed to bulldoze the collective mandate of the nation. Long March was to take place all over the country. Why did nothing happen in Balochistan? Why no stir in Sindh? Why no buzz in Frontier except a few bar associations? Why G.T. Road alone? I thought we believed in the ideals of democracy - I still think we do. But what has happened to me looks a loose tribal monarchy of middle ages where powerful tribes surrounding the capital decide the course of events. You can disregard my concerns as naive or desperate but for the old times sake, I will urge you to think about them.

We liberals, I being part of you, have a tradition of getting it wrong time and again. In 1977, slogan was rigging, people from us like Aitzaz Ahsan and Mahnaz Rafi were out raising the flag of principle. A Mr. Clean named Asghar Khan was crafted. JI was the bully. What we got was a martial law and a regime that destroyed the liberal ideals of our society - beyond repair. In 1988, the slogan was saving the Nuclear Program and eradication of American influence. The flag bearers were Mustafa Jatoi, Abida Hussain etc. Again JI was the bully. What we got was IJI and a set back to the democratic process.

In 1993, the slogan was eradication of corruption. Jumped in men like Mairaj Khalid, Najam Sethi, Shafkat Mahmood, Irshad Haqqani - from our own ranks (they were all members of Laghari cabinet). We all labeled "that woman" as the corrupt politician who ditched our moment. Needless to say now Imran Khan was Mr. Clean. What we got was a regime which took us first to the brink of Amir-Ul-Momineen fame 15th amendment and then an all out Military take over.

And even this time, the slogan is rule of law. The flag bearer (lo and behold) Aitzaz Ahsan and Naheed Khan (whose influence on BB was always criticized by us the liberals and whose influence BB kept curtailing in her later years) and Asma Jahangir (for whom I have immense regard). The bullies JI and PML (JI group). Mr. Clean IMC and Imran Khan. The gainer PML (JI). The one attacked - PPP govt.

Every time slogan has been one of our causes. Every time the string pullers have been the fundos. Every time the master minds have been General Guls and General Zias. Every time we have thought we have won. Every time we came to the reckoning that we have lost even more. Every time, the target has been PPP government. Every time what has flourished is Jihad Inc.

PPP has erred. It is a gross failure on their part - not to resist reinstatement of IMC - not the removal of SS - but the way they managed the administration.

It is also losing hold on its bastions. And its bastions in their idealism are weakening their best available option. As one of my good friends, a staunch supporter of CJ movement (who was imprisoned for it too) and someone who is my barometer for political conscience, Syed Ali Raza Shah said recently, PPP needs to think where it has been by merely observing that the journalist bodies have fallen from Mazhar Abbas to Mushtaq Minhas.

But my fellow liberals, can we afford to err? ZAB was not perfect. BB was not perfect. Zardari might be even less perfect. But what is the alternative? We have been able to fight the tyranny of state for 50+ years now and hell we are good at it. But will we be able to fight an Amir-ul-Momineen regime on one hand and Taliban's guns on the other, both aiming at eradicating what is left of our liberal ethos and cultural identity. Every time we have heard PPP is fine, the central figure is a demon. Every time we have mourned the death of the same central figure and regretted our follies. There has to be an end to it my Fellas!

I support democracy just like you. I am for rule of law just like you. I support freedom of expression just like you. I support strengthening of the institutions just like you. But my fellow comrades, I will fight for democracy ensuring our liberal ethos and cultural identity is preserved. I support freedom of expression but am not ready to confuse it with corporate interests of a handful of media owners. I will support rule of law but not in the name of robing the elected mandate.

When I look at the circumstances, I see no alternative but to strengthen PPP. The alternatives are fearful. I know most of us are brave enough to fight and shed our bloods on street demanding our rights. But will it be worth? Will we achieve the ideals we so dearly believe in? Or are we up for acts of heroics only? If Taliban or Amir-ul-Momineen comes, all will be gone. I am not trying to make you afraid. My intent is just to make us fight with a clear focus. May we triumph.

Comments

Anonymous said…
lawyers movment was infact only punjabs movement and the way Punjab showed its punjabi gardi, opens the eyes of the people of 3 smaller provinces.
I hope and Anti Punjab Alliance would soon surfaced and ask for independence from punjab.
As much as I hate to admit, there's too much truth in this to be ignored. A few days ago someone I know said "WE AS A NATION HAVE A HABIT OF RIDICULING OUR LEADERS" and I cannot help but agree that yes WE PUNJABIS have a history of ridiculing all our leaders (who are NOT from Punjab) and later even on killing them if we get lucky; either in exile or right here at home. We can pretend all we want, turn our faces all we want, but neither action will change history, which is pretty much blood soaked when it comes to leaders from other provinces. Punjab has one of the most liberal and open cultures, it is time we saw it being translated to our politics as well. Be it Suharwardi (who was unluckily a liberal leaguer) or ZAB, be it Junejo or BB and in this case be it Asif Ali Zardari we have ALWAYS, without failure, brought them down for 2 major reasons; 1) they were non-punjabis and 2) they were liberal per se. We can choose to carry forward with the evolution argument (survival of the toughest/fittest) but then we may also have to live with the secessionist arguments being thrown at us right, left and centre. We can either opt to take action and make amends or we can choose to live in the city state of Lahore.
Anonymous said…
Interesting thoughts. To a large extent I agree with them. However, one issue that might need clarification, but which is probably not known in general public is that MBB never curtailed Naheed Khan's influence. This is a common misconception.

Popular posts from this blog

Kissa sote jagte ka

Bahar Aai (It’s Spring) – Translation of a Poem by Faiz Ahmad Faiz

An Enigma called Imran Khan