Mob Mentality

I am not shocked to see the "mob mentality" that was on display all across the Muslim world in response to the cartoon controversy. Over the years, ignorance, lack of understanding and objective thinking, and immaturity has marked the Muslim world in general. Here are many people in our world (Muslim world) who await such opportunity and then exploit the religious sentiment of ordinary people to further their political influence and agenda. However, what concerns me is the absence of any voice of reason all across the Muslim world that could dare say that this response is wrong.

Being categorical, I find the response of the Muslim world to be uncivilized, mob-like and unacceptable. Being followers of a Prophet (P.B.U.H.), who would pray for the guidance and prosperity of people who will stone Him and throw dust and garbage at Him, requires us to be even more tolerant and civilized specially when it comes to something concerning Prophet. Our reaction and response to it should be dignified and civilized. Falling prey to the political ambitions of mullahs is stupidity and enflaming this issue to further other political agenda (as Iran is doing) in the name of Prophet is a shame.

There could have been better and more civilized ways to protest against these cartoons. One of them the economic boycott that has already been suggested. 1.2 billion Muslims are a big global market and should exercise their economic power more effectively than they currently do and not in the reactionary manner that they are accustomed to do.

But burning embassies, threatening civilian lives, mob demonstrations is not the right way to demonstrate in the name of a Prophet whose biggest credential is to be the Peace for all Worlds. It only furthers the cause of the fanatics who have hijacked the Muslim thought process and are now aiming at power in the Muslim world. My fear is that this mob mentality and irrational thinking will throw us many a centuries back and a renaissance which even now is a distant and remote thought will become impossible.

It is about time that we correct our perceptions. This controversy more than anything is a result of lack of understanding on parts of both West and Islam. It is not a battle between Islam and Christianity, as the mullah will make you believe. It is a battle between secularism and religion, as much between Christianity and secularism as is between Islam and Secularism. West in general and European continent in particular is a place where religion has been put at a back burner. You can see a lot of material around that is blasphemous to Christianity, Christ and Trinity. They consider discussing such issues to be freedom of speech. And I believe they took these cartoons in the same spirit - a lack of understanding of Muslim sentiment.

As for the Muslims, West does not realize that Muslims have a different set of ethics, beliefs and sensitivities. Muslims are more sensitive to things like Blasphemy than the West is to Freedom of Expression. This lack of understanding on both sides seems to be the prime reason for this controversy.

Being a Muslim and being a human, I have a great regard for Prophet, not because some mullah tells me this but because what little wisdom I have makes me admire the Prophet. I really feel sad that some idiot portrayed Prophet in this manner. But my regard for Prophet requires me to put his action and way before anything and everything else and so I pray that may those idiots and my Muslim brethren get guidance. And may they follow Prophet not in name but also in his ideals and conduct and behavior and may they understand his thoughts and teachings.

I know most of the Muslims, who believe beheading the offender is the only answer to any contempt against Prophet, will not agree with me on this. But even if mine is the only voice here, I will raise it as loud as I could in my capacity, because I believe that even if it is me vs the rest of Ummah, on the day of judgement my way will have Prophet's node.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kissa sote jagte ka

An Enigma called Imran Khan

Bahar Aai (It’s Spring) – Translation of a Poem by Faiz Ahmad Faiz